January 26, 2006

Hoover-"ish" Baby Blanket


Thanks to Knitty.com for the pattern from Mrs. Hoover. I chose Encore Colorspun for this blanket for the washability. New moms need easy care blankets, right? I decided on the lovely blue/green variegated with a white border (we're all thinking this kid's a boy... I have yellow and orange Encore if we're wrong). For some reason I had this "brilliant" idea of knitting the body of the blanket in the Colorspun and adding the white, three-inch border after. Fast forward to the end of the third skein of Colorspun. I call Mom. "How do I add the knit border and do the corners so they'll be flat?" We're stumped. I assume if I mark the corners, increase twice at each corner, the miters will work out just fine... or good enough, anyway. Forget counting stitches, gauge, and all other math related stuff -- I throw caution to the wind and start picking up stitches. Coming back around to the beginning I realize (duh) that if I join this and knit in the round ("why not, Mom? Won't that be easier?") I'll be knitting with a big ole sack hanging off the needles. Well I've knit with greater inconveniences. And besides, it was a convenient place to stash the yarn so as not to tempt the cat. I have yet to weave in the ends, but the baby is not expected until July, so I have a bit of time, yet.

No comments: